Commitment to others is at the very heart of Biogen Idec’s Core Values, which call for:
- Courageous Innovation
- Quality, Integrity, Honesty
- Commitment to Those We Serve
By the very nature of our work – discovering and developing new treatments for cancer, neurological and autoimmune disease – the men and women of Biogen Idec each day demonstrate our determination to give back to society.
In addition to our commitment to our patients and their caregivers, our shareholders and colleagues, we support the communities in which we live and work in many other ways, including:
- Financial support ofscience educationandcommunity serviceprograms through grants from theBiogen Idec Foundation.
- Hands-onCommunity Labsat our Cambridge and San Diego research centers, dedicated to introduce middle and high-school students to biotechnology, and encourage them to seek careers in the biomedical sciences.
- Educational grantsto medical schools, hospitals and community based healthcare-related organizations that that help underwrite independent medical educational (IME) and patient education and support programs in the therapeutic areas we serve.
- Volunteer activitiesthat involve a wide range of our employees and that help raise funds for social agencies and provide direct services in our communities.
In the fall of 2005, BusinessWeek magazine selected Biogen Idec as the “Most generous in-kind” corporate giver and the second “Most generous cash giver” based on gifts as a percentage of pretax profits.