Biogen Idec believes it is important to give back to the communities in which we live and work. The company provides a series of grants to community-based organizations, most of which are dedicated to education, community service, healthcare, culture and the arts. Grants generally range in size from $500 to $2,500.
To be eligible for funding, an organization must be
- A non-profit agency with tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code.
- Serving residents of Cambridge or the Greater Boston area, San Diego or San Diego County, and Raleigh-Durham, NC.
Eligible organizations must not:
- Advocate, support or practice discrimination based on race, religion, age, national origin, language, gender, sexual preference or physical limitation.
- Include the promotion of any particular religious faith as an explicit and primary goal.
- Have the nomination or election of candidates to political office as an explicit goal.
- Be government agencies, political organizations or individuals.
Grants should not cover fundraising or capital campaign activities.
The Biogen Idec Corporate Giving Program accepts proposals throughout the year. No application form is required. We do ask that you provide us with two copies of a brief proposal (one to three pages in length) with the following information:
- A brief history or description of the organization.
- The nature of the request and specific use of the funding. Please describe how the proposal addresses the specific criteria for the program for which you are applying. Include the number of individuals who will be reached and your plans for evaluation, including measurable outcomes. Include the specific cash amount requested.
- Name, address and daytime telephone number of a contact person.
- Information regarding how you will acknowledge Biogen Idec’s support.
In addition to the proposal and cover letter, please include two copies of the following attachments:
- The Internal Revenue Service letter confirming your organization’s tax-exempt status 501(c)(3).
- The most recent audited financial statement. If an audited statement is not available, please submit a written statement indicating that an appropriate accounting system has been established, signed by the Chairman of the Finance/Auditing Committee or a CPA.
- The organization’s current operating budget and a specific project budget.
- A list of major sources of funding with amounts received in each category (e.g., United Way, corporations, foundations, etc.).
- Other support materials (e.g., annual reports, brochures, fliers, press clippings, etc.) that will assist in evaluating the proposal. Please limit the number of attachments.
- Organizations funded by Biogen Idec are welcome to reapply annually. If your organization has previously received a grant from Biogen Idec, please include a one-page summary of the results of our previous support.
For requests in Cambridge or the Greater Boston area, please mail your proposal to:
Senior Director, Public Affairs
Biogen Idec Inc.
l4 Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
For requests for contributions in the city of San Diego or San Diego County, please mail your proposal to:
Director, Corporate Communications
Biogen Idec Inc.
3030 Callan Road
San Diego, CA 92121
For requests for contributions in North Carolina, please mail your proposal to:
Associate Director, Human Resources
Biogen Idec Inc.
5000 Davis Drive
P.O. Box 14627
Research Triangle Park, N.C. 27709-4627
Proposals are reviewed on a quarterly basis and all requesting organizations will receive a written confirmation of the company’s decision on the request. Please do not call to find out if your proposal has been received or to follow up on its status.