We are committed to respecting your privacy. Because facts about a person’s health, health interests, and healthcare are private and sensitive, we know that you may have concerns about sharing information with us.
- Information We Collect.We have access to the following categories of information regarding you and your visit to the Site. Only some of these categories of information identify you directly, but each category offers some information about your interests and activities that could be used to make inferences about you.
Information That You Voluntarily Provide:
- Site Registration.Biogen Idec has constructed this Site so that you may visit us and review information about the services and products we offer without revealing your identity or volunteering any personally identifying information. If you choose to register to use Biogen Idec features and services, either as a consumer or a healthcare professional, we will collect “personally identifying information” from you, such as your name, address, telephone number, and email address that could be used to contact you. When this information is combined with any information on your health or medical status, we refer to the resulting information as “health-related personal information.”
- Information That Is Routinely Collected By Our Site Technology:IP Address.We record the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer when you visit the Site. The IP address does not identify you personally, but it allows us to maintain communications with you as you move about the Site.
Cookies.We also collect information about your use of the Site through cookies and similar technology. A “cookie” is a unique numeric code that we transfer to your computer so that we can keep track of your interests and preferences and recognize you as a return visitor to the Site. Cookie technology allows us to collect “clickstream” data, which is not personally identifying information, but which reflects your activities on the Site, including your interest in certain healthcare conditions. A cookie does not collect or keep your name or other personal identifying information, but when you revisit the Site the cookie allows us to bring you the content and features likely to be of greatest interest to you based on your previous activities on the Site.
- How We Use Your Information.We use the information about your use of the services and activities on the Site to monitor user traffic patterns and try to analyze what our users prefer so that we can design better services and activities for you. The personally identifying information and health-related personal information that you provide may be used to create customized offers, information, and services tailored to your interests and preferences.
- Personally Identifying Information.You do not have to register to use most of the information and services available for consumers on the Site. If you choose to register, we will use the personally identifying information you give us to send you an email confirming your registration with the Site and to respond to questions from you. We may also, from time to time, send you emails with special promotions or newsletters with information that we think may be of interest to you.
- IP Address.In addition to using the IP address of your computer to maintain communications with you as you move about the Site, we also may use your IP address to personalize content provided on the Site. We retain IP addresses, and we retain them together with personally identifying information.
- Vendors and Suppliers.We may from time to time have relationships with different vendors and suppliers who help us design and maintain our systems and our computer security, respond to email and customer inquiries, and create special promotions. We will not authorize our vendors and suppliers to use our customer information for any purpose not related to our business.
- Law Enforcement.In certain limited circumstances, we may be called upon to release your personally identifying information and/or health-related personal information in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law, or regulation. We plan to cooperate in responding to such requests, taking appropriate measures to ensure that the requester understands the sensitive nature of the personally identifying information and/or health-related personal information that they may receive. We also reserve the right to cooperate with law enforcement authorities in investigating and prosecuting users who violate our rules or engage in behavior that is illegal or harmful to other users of the Site.
- Product Reports.If you contact us regarding your experience in using one of our products, we may use the information you provide in submitting reports to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and as otherwise required of us by law. We also may use the information to contact the prescribing physician to follow up regarding an unexpected event involving use of our product.
We pledge that we will not sell or disclose any personally identifying information or health-related personal information you provide on the Site to an unrelated third party without your express permission, except that we may partner with other companies to provide you with content or services on a joint or “co-branded” basis. At a co-branded site you will see both the Biogen Idec logo and the logo of the co-branded partner displayed on your screen. To access the services available on a co-branded site you may have to complete an on-line registration form, and this registration information may be shared with our co-branded partners. You should read the individual privacy policies of the co-branded sites, as these may differ in some respects from ours. Reading these policies will help you to make an informed decision about whether to provide your information to a given site. Remember, you may always opt-out of sharing your information with a partner site by choosing not to use the service or content provided by the co-branded site.
Other Important Information About Our Relationship With Third Parties:
- Our Children’s Policy.The Site content and services are intended for adult users over the age of 13. The Site is not designed to attract child users. If we learn that an under-13 user has volunteered personally identifying and/or health-related personal information on the Site, or that a provider has volunteered information about a patient who is identified as younger than 13, we will delete such information from our active databases in accordance with our deletion policy, which is described in the section on Privacy Choices.
- Your Privacy Choices.When you access any interactive tool or service on the Site, you will be asked to affirmatively choose (“opt-in”) to provide the requested information. You may always choose not to provide the requested information.
- Receive Email.You may elect to receive email updates about developments regarding Biogen Idec. If you decide, at any later time, that you no longer wish to receive these emails you may unsubscribe to our email list by sending an email entitled Unsubscribe to email@example.com .
- Accept Cookies.Your browser software can be set to reject all cookies, but if you reject our cookies certain of the functions and conveniences of the Site may not work properly. Cookies and similar technologies are how we ensure that we can promptly retrieve and deliver the information to you when you use the Site.
- Correct/Update Personal Information.You may correct or update the personally identifying information and/or health-related personal information you previously provided to the Site at any time, using the following options:You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
You can write to the following address:
Biogen Idec Inc.
14 Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
- Remove Personal Information.You may remove previously provided personally identifying information and/or health-related personal information at any time using the following options:*
You can contact us at email@example.com .
You can also write to the following address:
Biogen Idec Inc.
14 Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
*Deletion Policy. The information that you provide to us is stored in servers that are operated and maintained by Biogen Idec and third parties under contract with Biogen Idec. Site users should be aware that it is not technologically possible to remove from our servers each and every record of the information you have provided to Biogen Idec. The need to back-up our systems to protect information from inadvertent loss means that a copy of information about you or your health-related interests may exist in a non-erasable form that will be difficult or impossible for us to locate. Nevertheless, we promise that upon receiving your request, Biogen Idec will delete all personally identifying information and/or health-related personal information stored in the databases Biogen Idec actively uses for research and daily business activities, or stored in other readily searchable media. In addition, we will use commercially reasonable efforts not to disclose any personally identifying information and/or health-related personal information stored in a non-erasable format after receiving your request for removal, except as required by law.
Please be aware that we may not comply with a consumer’s request to amend or remove information that was provided to Biogen Idec by a healthcare professional or a consumer regarding an adverse drug event.
- Our Security Measures.We want your personally identifying information and health-related personal information to remain as secure as reasonably possible.
- Data Security.We use encryption practices to help insure the integrity and privacy of some of the personally identifying information and health-related personal information you provide to us. As an added security precaution, all personally identifying information and/or health-related personal information is kept physically behind firewalls that meet or exceed industry standards to prevent intruders from gaining access. Although we will make reasonable efforts to protect personally identifying information and/or health-related personal information from loss, misuse, or alteration by third parties, you should be aware that there is always some risk that an unauthorized third party could intercept an Internet transmission, or that thieves will find a way to thwart our security systems.